Why I Love Greek Summer
There are plenty of blog posts about summer in Greece. Too many to count, but the side that we locals get to see, the secret side is what keeps us coming back for those precious moments with friends near the sea.
Summer in Greece is not only concentrated on the islands of course; which is sometimes the only thing most visitors either get to or care to see. Athens is not a place to be avoided at all costs. The open air concerts, the festivals, the art, the bars, and the hustle and bustle of the beautiful magical Athenian summer night, can’t be described in words; it must be lived!
Here is my list of things that make a Greek summer complete.
- Go to the beach early, and stay after sun down — always. (on those rare occasions that you sleep at a beach… wake up at dawn and take refreshing morning swim)
- Go with friends, leave with more friends.
- Eat at a small tavern, preferably overlooking the sea. Pick the small unassuming places not the ones featured in Conde Nast Traveler (sorry but it’s true).
- The secret beaches are usually the best ones.
- The secret beaches are the hardest to get to — for that exact same reason.
- Leave your fucking mobile phone off and enjoy the sea, dive in, stay in and live in the moment.